Friday 24 June 2011

New Obsession: Readers’ Comments

I’m slowly getting obsessed with readers’ comments…they’re so much juicier and more extreme than the article in question. My current favourite debate is in response to Amelia Gentleman’s article ‘Pregnant? Wait till the boss hears’ in the Guardian. Guardian readers never fail to disappoint with their views and opinions … and some of the reactions to this story are so outrageous I can only laugh. Here is my personal favourite:

Matthew206: I don’t understand maternity leave. So a woman, in her spare time, decides to get pregnant. Then she decides to keep it. Fair enough. But then she expects her work to pay her not to work, while keeping her job for her, because of her own lifestyle choice. I suppose if I was working in a company, and I went water-skiing for 9 months, I’d get paid for that too, right? I understand that we need babies to be made, but I don’t get why companies need to accommodate for women’s lifestyle choices such as having a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment